I live by my beauty guru Pratima's moto "if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin". After a month of intensive sweaty yoga teacher training, my skin was crying for some TLC. It was time for a SUPERFOOD MASK, made in the spur of the moment, with what I could put my hands on, in my pantry:
- 1 tablespoon of Oatmeal (powdered in a blender), soothing and softening for the skin,
- 1 teaspoon of Acai powder, powerful antioxidant to protect the skin from free radicals,
- 1 teaspoon of Camu Camu powder, fruit super rich in vitamin C, known for its rejuvenating properties,
- 1 teaspoon of Spirulina, contains vitamin E and selenium, known for their anti-ageing effects,
- 1 teaspoon Raw Cacao, full of antioxidants and minerals.
- 1 large tablespoon of Raw Honey, powerful antibacterial, cleanses deeply, open pores and nourishes skin,
- 1 drop of DoTERRA Lavender essential oil, soothing for the skin, relaxing for the mind (you can use geranium if you have dry skin or rose if you have sensitive skin),
- 2 tablespoons (or more, based on final consistency) of Rose water (or filtered water).
Mix all the dry ingredients together (you can skip powdering the oatmeal, it'll just be a little messy-er) in a glass or ceramic bowl (no plastic).
Mix all the wet ingredients together and add the dry mix.
Mix with a fork to create a thick yet manageable paste.
Slather on and leave for 20 minutes (perfect timing to meditate!).
Wet your hands and rub softly for gentle exfoliation.
Finish with a few spritz of rose water to tone, balance your skin and remove any leftover with a cotton ball.
Moisturize with a few drops of pure coconut oil, cooling for the skin, great for the summer. Jojoba is great too, even Almond or Olive oil, just add a drop of essential for a more glamorous scent, as long as you avoid all citrus oils as they are photo-sensible. They will make you burn in the sun.
Don't get caught up if you are missing 1, 2 or 3 ingredients though. Go with what you have on-hand, with what you feel inspired to use, what smells good to you... For instance I could have made a plain Honey-Cacao mask or a Honey-Spiru-Mint (instead of Lavender essential oil) version! I just get a little carried away when it comes to playing with food on my face :)
Yogini at Heart.
Natural Health & Beauty.
Healthy Sweet Lover.
Citizen of the World.
Mama on a Mission.